If you are looking for a great appetizer for your New Years Eve bash - we've got a great one for you!! This recipe is from our member Carrie Paul owner of The Longest Fork and it's sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Sweet and Spicy Bacon Wrapped Plantains
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, Appetizer
Recipe by: Carrie Paul – The Longest Fork
Servings: 18-24 pieces
2 large dark spotted plantains (see note)
12 oz. uncooked, nitrate free bacon
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup, divided
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. fresh, finely chopped tarragon, optional
Pomegranates and tarragon sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
2. Peel and slice plantains into ½- inch rounds. And, cut bacon strips in half cross-wise.
3. In a small bowl, mix 1 Tbsp. maple syrup with salt, pepper, and finely chopped tarragon. Add
sliced plantains and mix well.
4. Wrap the bacon slice around flat side of each plantain round and place seam side down on baking
sheet. Repeat with remaining plantain rounds.
5. Brush with 1 Tbsp. of maple syrup and sprinkle with cayenne pepper – add more if you like a kick!
6. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until bacon is crispy.
7. Stick a toothpick in each bacon-wrapped plantain and serve on a platter of pomegranates and
garnish with tarragon sprigs
NOTE: If you have purchased green plantains and don’t have time for them to ripen into dark spotted
plantains, don’t worry. Sauté plantain slices in rendered fat or avocado oil for 5 minutes and add an
additional 1 Tbsp. of maple syrup.